Who We Are
With over 750 member organisations across Australia, Families Australia is a national, peak, not-for-profit organisation which strives to improve the wellbeing of all Australian families.
- The object of Families Australia is to work towards the recognition of, and support for, the social, economic, cultural, spiritual, and developmental needs of families, young people and children in Australian communities, in particular, by relieving the suffering, distress and helplessness of vulnerable and disadvantaged families and people, so as to enhance their physical, social and emotional wellbeing.
- This object will contribute to a united Australia that provides justice and equity for all, in particular for vulnerable and disadvantaged families and people, and which recognises the fundamental importance of families and the heritage and culture of all Australians, including the original inhabitants, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Families Australia works to promote a national policy environment in which the needs and interests of families, especially the most vulnerable and marginalised, are heard and addressed.
- Our vision is that Australian families, in all their diversity, enjoy the greatest possible wellbeing. Read about our journey so far.
- Our member organisations operate in a diverse range of fields such as community and family support work, program management, disability, research, grandparenting, children’s services, counselling, and youth work. Read about members and how to join.
- Families Australia coordinates the Coalition of Organisations Committed to the Safety and Wellbeing of Australia’s Children, which is working with Australian Governments to implement the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009-2020. Read more.
- Families are at the heart of Australian society. Read key facts about Australia’s families on our Useful links page.
What We Do
- Child safety and wellbeing more
- Supporting Forgotten Australians more
- Mental health more
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples more
- Grandparents and kinship carers more
- Substance misuse more
- Work and family more
- Violence against women more
- National Families Week more